Sunday, September 17, 2017

Hanging out at Sam's Snack Shack After the First Day Of School

Hello future readers,

This past Monday was my first day of school. I'm in Miss LaSalle's class! We had lots of review lessons today---Spelling, Math, Reading..etc. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  Last year, I forgot a lot of Math, but this year, I did better. Listening to my Multiplication Rock record this summer helped a lot. Would you believe we actually got homework on the first day of school? Miss LaSalle wants us to write a composition about our families. I guess mine will be pretty short, since it's just me and my mom. I guess I'll have to write about my auntie, uncle and cousins too. We have a book report due on Friday (ugh!)  I signed up for Baton Club again this year. I wonder who else signed up or wants to try out to be in it? At lunchtime, some of us talked about going to Sam's to celebrate the first day of school. So me and some of the other kids in my class walked over to buy a soda at Sam's.




"Hey Bridget, you gonna go to the Public Library to get a book for your book report this week?"
"I dunno, Julie. I may use one of the new books my grandma sent me."




"Did you see that spy movie last night on T.V., Marc?"
"Yeah, that Agent Osbourne guy is the greatest. I didn't think he could ever beat The Black Claw."



"You gonna help your dad at the Community Center this year, Shante'?"
"Not until next month. Dad said I have to get used to my new school routine first."

When we got to Sam's, me, Shante' and Bridget grabbed a table, Robyn made for the jukebox, and the boys went right for the pinball machine.







"Are you sure you don't want some of my milkshake Bridget?"




"Nah, if I fill up before Mom's pot roast, she'll kill me!"




"That's why I like cream soda floats. It's the best of both worlds."





"Hey Marc, are you gonna write about any of your family in Texas for homework; like your uncle who's  in the rodeo?"




"Man, I don't even wanna hear the word homework until after dinner tonight!"




We all laughed about that. I guess it's harder for some of us to get back into the school year groove than others. But I was glad to see Miss LaSalle again. I really missed her over the summer. Henry our class hamster did too!




We all knew we had to leave pretty soon, or our parents would call the F.B.I out on us. After all it was a school day. Robyn asked Marc for a dance before we left.  She chose "Superstition" by Stevie Wonder, and she and Marc really got down!








Well, that's pretty much it, future readers, I have a lot of homework to do, so I guess I better go now.  I love that us kids have a place to hang out like Sam's when  we just wanna go off by ourselves for awhile. Our parents are usually pretty cool about letting us hang out a little and not coming straight home from school. Sometimes it's Sam's, sometimes it's the candy store or the playground, or each other's houses. But my mom says I gotta be home by 4:30. Do kids in the future still hang out after school? Or do you just talk to each other over your T.V. phones?




Until next time, future readers,
Your friend,
Julie Newman

11 comments:

  1. Hi Julie,
    Things are a little different here. We live about 5-7 miles from our schools and must ride a bus. Kids come directly home after school.
    From 2017,
    Fawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2017? Man, that's a LONG way into the future! It's too bad that the school isn't closer. I guess riding the bus might be fun sometimes, though.

      Delete
  2. Hi Julie,
    You are so lucky that you get to hang out at Sam's after school. I remember he makes the best hot fudge sundaes. Put a quarter in the jukebox for me and play "Young Love" by Donny Osmond.
    See you in the funny papers,
    Vivienne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Viv,

      Yeah, Sam's hot fudge sundaes are good, but I like his banana splits better. (and the jukebox only cost a dime!)

      Julie

      Delete
  3. Hey Julie,
    What book did you choose for your book report? I found an old Hardy Boys book on my grandma's bookshelf called "The Tower Treasure". It was written in 1927! I like mysteries and detectives so I'm going to give it a try. Have you ever read any detective books?
    Your east coast sluth,
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kevin,

      Yeah, Hardy Boys books are old. I think Danny has one on the bookshelf in his room. I chose "My Dad Lives in a Downtown Hotel" by Peggy Mann. It's about a boy whose parents get divorced, and he visits his dad in a hotel.

      Delete
    2. Julie, I remember that book from school.

      Delete
  4. I lived far from the school so I didn't get to see my friends much over the summer. I was always excited when school started for that reason. But it is hard to get back into the routine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that must be kinda weird to have 2 sets of friends, school friends and then your neighborhood friends. And Marc is still grumbling about homework. Y'know how I was with Math? Marc is almost the same way about Spelling.

      Delete
  5. Love those crazy dance moves! Keep on keepin' on, Julie and friends!

    ReplyDelete