Sunday, June 5, 2016

My Good, Bad Day

Hello future readers,

I guess the title of this entry doesn't make much sense to you, does it? Well, let me clue you in.

Actually my day started off good. I was sitting out on my front steps, playing with my paddle ball.


Then Kim and Sunny rode up on their bikes and asked if I wanted to go riding.



I really wasn't doing anything else, so I said "Sure" and got my bike out of the garage. We were having fun, riding along but not really going anywhere. Just riding around, enjoying the day.

















Then I got a little ahead of Sunny and Kim. I could hear them behind me calling "Wait up, Julie".



When all of a sudden, my bike hit a bump on the sidewalk. My bike stopped, but I kept going...right over the handlebars!



I felt my foot catch in one of the handlebars, and it pulled my bike down on top of my foot!




Kim and Sunny jumped off their bikes and ran over to see if I was OK.



"Are you alright, Julie?", Kim asked. I just groaned. Kim pulled the bike off of me and Sunny helped me sit up.



"Can you get up, Julie?", Sunny wanted to know.




"I don't think so", I answered. My head and my arm really hurt. I felt like crying, but I didn't want my friends to think I was a baby. So I took a deep breath and said, "Could one of you go get my mom?"
So Kim jumped on her bike and rode back to my house to tell my mom what happened.



"Don't worry, Julie", Sunny said. "Your mom will be here soon." It couldn't have been soon enough for me. I felt like someone had used my head and arm to scrub the sidewalk!




A little while later, my mom showed up. She picked me up, put me in the front seat of our car, and put my bike in the trunk. When we got home, she carried me up to my room and put me on my bed.




Now that the girls weren't watching, I started to cry. My mom wouldn't think I was a baby, she would just talk softly and tell me everything would be alright.




My mom said I should hold JuJu while she cleaned my scrapes and put Bactine and Band-Aids on them. I like Bactine. It doesn't sting like the red stuff does.


My mom gave me a kiss, and went back downstairs. A few minutes later there was a knock on my bedroom door.
"Julie, it's us....Kim and Sunny. Can we come in?"
"Sure, come on in."



As they sat down, Sunny asked, "How do you feel?"
"Like the sidewalk jumped up and slapped me in the face, but I'll be OK."



"Man, you really had us worried!", Kim said to me.
"Yeah, it was really scary seeing you on the ground like that", Sunny added.
"Well, I just hope I don't ever fall of my bike again!"
Just them my mom came back into the room.
"Julie, you have mail from West Virginia."
"It must be from Vivienne!"






"It must be really far out to have a pen pal", Kim said as I opened the envelope.





After reading the letter a couple of minutes, I shouted, "Dynamite!"




"Well, don't keep us in suspense, what does it say?", Sunny wanted to know.




"It says that Vivienne's invited me to spend a week with her and go to day camp in West Virginia."




"Wow, that's really outta site, Julie!", Kim said.
"Yeah Julie, that's really groovy!", Sunny agreed.




"I just hope Mrs. Galbraith isn't our counselor! Remember how I told you guys how strict she was when I went to school with Vivienne?"
"Yeah, that would be a bummer."
"And how!"

So that was my bad, good day, future readers. It started out good, turned bad, but ended up good again. I don't think I'll have any trouble talking my mom into letting me go to West Virginia this time! Do kids still go to day camp in the future? I went once a really long time ago, and I can't remember what it was like. But if Vivienne, Betta and my other WV friends are there, it's sure to be a groove!




Until next time, future readers,
Your friend,
Julie Newman

12 comments:

  1. Ouch and Ugh to wrecking your bike!! I still have a scar on my knee from when I wrecked mine many years ago. How fun that you are going to go to West Virginia again, Vivienne had perfect timing in sending her letter, didn't she?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I didn't wreck my bike, but I did blow out the front tire when I hit that bump. My mom's gonna take it t the bike shop this week to get it fixed. I'm so happy Vivienne's letter came when it did. I definitely needed some cheering up after my little accident!

      Delete
  2. The day camp sounds like lot of fun. I am so sorry you fell off your bike. I hope it heals quickly.

    Melodie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melodie. I'm feeling a little better now.

      Delete
    2. So glad to hear. I fell one time on the sidewalk, and it hurt.

      Melodie

      Delete
  3. Hi Julie,
    Ouch, that hurt! Getting all the gravel out was what I dreaded most about cleaning a booboo. And then it always stung like crazy in the bath tub that night. Vivienne's letter came just in time. As Mary Poppins would say, "A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down."
    Fawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just glad (and sorta surprised) that I didn't skin my knee too! I hate taking a bath with a skinned knee! It was kinda hard to sleep that night, 'cos I lean on my arm, or turn my head on my pillow to get comfy. Ouch! And of course, today in school today everyone asked me "What happened to you, Julie?" Oh brother. I almost felt like wearing a sign that said "Don't ask!"

      Delete
  4. WOW! That was a bad fall, but moms always know how to make things better. It is so exciting that you get to go to camp with Viviene! I see now why it was a bad good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, My mom says I'm lucky I didn't knock my front teeth out, (which would be really bad because I have permanent teeth in front!). But she always knows how to make me feel better. I can't wait to go back to WV. Isn't that a song? "I'm Goin' Back to West Virginia" ! Hee! (sorry Jackson 5!)

      Delete
  5. Oh, man, Julie! Falling off your bike like that stinks. I hope you're all better now.
    ~Melody

    Julie, i know exactly where you are coming from with that bike accit. My friends and I used to just ride around the block or in the driveways. One day we were on Christy's driveway that was a hill and had a wall on the one side. I went over the wall and the bike hit the back of my head. I think I broke my nose, but we didn't have it officially looked at because no black eyes. :) Feel better soon!
    ~Xyra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Melody, I'm much better now. You can hardly see the scars! (that's 'cos I use lotsa cocoa butter to tan them over).

    And wow Xyra, that sounds SO much worse than my bike accident. I didn't break anything, and I'm really glad my bike didn't hit me in the head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you are healing with the help of cocoa butter. I'll have to remember that next time I have a spill.
      ~Melody

      It wasn't all that bad, but there was no keeping the tears at bay for me. But mom picked me up and cleaned me off and all was well. It healed well; maybe a touch crooked, but well. :)
      ~Xyra

      Delete