Sunday, April 10, 2016

Baby Katie

Hello future readers,

Yesterday after the Saturday morning cartoons were over, Robyn and I went over to Lisa's house to see if she wanted to play with us. But guess who else we found there?



Lisa's Aunt Jeanine, (who she got her middle name from) and her baby cousin Katie were visiting.



When we came in, Lisa was reading a story to Katie. Awwww...she's so cute!




Lisa couldn't come out and play because her mom and aunt went to the grocery store. Her dad was at work, and her grandma was taking a nap. So we decided to keep Lisa company and help her look after the baby for a little while, until the grown-ups got back.




Lisa told us that Katie was only 7 months old. She was too young to walk, and wasn't really crawling yet, but sometimes she would get on her hands and knees and rock herself back and forth. That means she'll be crawling pretty soon. Lisa asked if we wanted to hold her. Robyn was too scared. She thought she would break the baby. But I said I would. It reminded me of when I was in West Virginia in February and held my friend Betta's baby brother, Little G. Katie was smaller than Little G, but I wasn't worried. I knew how to hold babies now. So I sat on Lisa's fold-out bed, and she put Baby Katie in my arms.




She wiggled and squirmed and made funny noises while she drooled. And she smelled good like vanilla and baby powder. Lisa said her aunt changed her before they went to the store. Robyn wanted to play with the baby too, so Lisa put her blanket on the floor and laid her down on it. Robyn and I talked baby talk to her and shook her toys in front of her to see which one she wanted. She kicked her feet and giggled and grabbed at both of her toys.  She was so adorable!



After a while, Katie started rubbing her eyes and crying a little. Lisa said that meant she was getting sleepy and needed a nap. Lisa picked her up and put her in her travel bed. She gave a little yawn and stuck her thumb in her mouth. 'Night-night, Katie!





We sat around and rapped (really quietly), until Lisa's mom and aunt came home.




Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have a baby brother or sister. Babies are really cute, but they also cry and poop a lot! It's different when you play with a doll, because you can just put them back in your toybox or on the shelf when you're tired of playing with them. You can't do that to a baby! I don't know how cute I would think a baby brother or sister was if they cried a lot, had messy diapers and spit up on me! I guess I'll just stick to playing with other people's babies! Hee!



Until next time, future readers,
Your friend,
Julie Newman

14 comments:

  1. She is so cute, but you are right, babies are a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! And I thought that Lisa knowing what to do for Baby Katie was really far out! The only babies I really know anything about are my dolls!

      Delete
  2. Hey Julie, seeing Robyn and Lisa's t-shirts made me think of a question I have for you. You and your friends always have groovy graphics on your t-shirts and I would like to make some special Earth Day t's for my girls since it is coming up in a couple of weeks. I know Earth Day is a brand new thing in your decade, so I was wondering if you could give me some 70s inspired ideas for some graphics or phrases. In 2016 we say "Go Green" a lot, or sometimes "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle". Do you say any thing like that in the 70s?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've heard the word recycle before, and the word Ecology, (like the Marvin Gaye song). Some people think that people who are into Ecology are "tree huggers". Maybe your shirt can say "Hug A Tree Today".

      Delete
  3. That looks like fun. I love playing with babies, too.

    Melodie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, playing with babies is fun, but I don't know if I'd like doing the other stuff, like changing diapers! YUCK!

      Delete
    2. Definitely. Baby Katie is really cute.

      Melodie

      Delete
  4. Hi Julie,
    Little Katie sure is cute! She must be a good baby too if she was willing to take a nap while all of you girls were in the room. My babies were always afraid they would miss something if they had to take a nap while company was visiting.
    Your future friend,
    Fawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Baby Katie was on Florida time. I think that's 3 hours ahead of us. That's where Lisa lived before her family moved to Springfield to take care of her grandma. Since she's probably used to taking a nap earlier, she must have been pretty tired.

      Delete
  5. Hi Julie,
    Betta and little Glenn say Hi! We think he remembers you giving him a bottle because every time we say "Julie" he smiles. Kevin thinks it is just gas but we're not so sure.
    Mrs. Fleagle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs. Fleagle!

      Awww...that's so sweet! Give Betta and Little G a big hug for me, OK?

      Delete
  6. Aw Katie is such a cute baby! Babies are a lot of fun, but you are right dolls are not as much work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's fun playing mommy with my dolls. I like to pretend to feed My Real Baby, Lucy, and pretend to change her and rock her to sleep. All the fun, but none of the noise or mess!

      Delete
  7. Where did you get that blue phone in the background? It's adorable!

    ReplyDelete