Sunday, January 31, 2016

A Card From My Pen Pal

Hello future readers,

On Wednesday, I came home from school and went up to my room to change into my play clothes. Boomer was in there waiting for me.





I start to sit down on my bed, when I see this pretty yellow envelope addressed to me.





It was from my pen pal, Vivienne. She lives in West Virginia. She was the one who sent me the doll at Christmas that looks just like her.


So I sit down to read the card.  Then I get so excited I can't even believe it!





Vivienne invited me to West Virginia for a week so I can play in the snow! OUTTA SITE!! I yelled so loud, I scared Boomer and he jumped off the bed!



I thought it was a super groovy idea. But I wasn't sure what my mom would think, since I'd be missing school for a week. But I hadn't seen snow since I was really little, and I don't remember that much about it. Oh my mom just has to say yes! I slid off my bed and ran downstairs to the kitchen to ask my mom.



She was taking some chicken out of the refrigerator to make for dinner when I ran in the kitchen, waving the card. She read it and then looked at me. Uh-oh...she had that "I don't know about this, Julie", look on her face. Right away, I start begging...

"Oh please Mom, can't I go?"
"You have school, Julie. I don't think I want you to miss a week of school just so you could play in the snow."
"I could go to school with Vivienne! Or maybe Miss LaSalle could make me a homework packet so I won't fall behind again."
"You just got over the flu, honey. I don't want you getting sick again."
"But I'm all better, Mom. And I'll even take extra vitamins so I won't get sick again. Even that nasty cod liver oil! Please Mommy? I'll never ask you for anything else as long as I live!"
"Now let's not go making promises you know you can't keep. Let's just call Mrs. Walton and see what this is all about."

So my mom called Mrs. Walton. It turns out that Vivienne's school was gonna be closed for a week, 'cos they just had this big blizzard. They thought it would be nice if Vivienne had some company, and they both knew how much I wanted to see snow. Mrs. Walton told my mom that Vivienne's teacher gave the whole class homework packets, and she'd make sure we would do homework every day if I brought a packet too. She said that I didn't have to go out and buy warm clothes, 'cos Vivienne had lotsa extra things for me to wear. She'd make sure I take my vitamins and keep warm and dry. My mom wasn't sure she wanted me to fly all by myself. Mrs. Walton said that Vivienne had gone to visit her aunt in Boston by herself and that the stewardess did a really nice job of looking after her. Twenty minutes later, my mom said YES! She handed me the phone, told me I had 10 minutes to talk to Vivienne, and went back into the kitchen to fix dinner.





We were so excited! I was gonna fly out there on Monday. Vivienne said her best friend Betta , (Kevin's sister) couldn't wait to meet me and had some dynamite things planned for all of us to do.  It sounded like so much fun!



After I got off the phone my mom sent me back upstairs to change out of my school clothes, and told me to make a list of things I wanted to take. She said after dinner, she'd phone Miss LaSalle and ask to to make me a homework packet. Miss LaSalle told her I'd get credit for all my work, and I wouldn't miss anything important, as long as I completed the packet. Far out!

So future readers, the next time you hear from me, I'll be in West Virginia! Yippee! I'll tell you guys all about my trip, and I'll take lotsa snapshots, so you can see all the fun I'm having!
Stay tuned!



Until then, future readers,
Your very excited friend,
Julie Newman

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun. Enjoy the snow and time with Vivienne. Can't wait to see what you do.

    Melodie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll be too excited to sleep tonight!

      Delete
    2. I know how you feel. I have a hard time sleeping before we go on vacation.

      Melodie

      Delete
  2. How fun! I hope you have a great time, can't wait to hear about your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've unpacked and repacked my suitcase 3 times already. I'm so excited I can't stand it!

      Delete
  3. How exciting to go and stay with your penpal! I am sure you will have an amazing time playing in the snow. Hopefully you get to go ice-skating too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...I don't know how to ice-skate. It's a lot different than roller-skating. If I do go, hopefully I won't spend too much time on my tushie! *giggle*

      Delete
  4. Good morning Julie,
    Hey, what do you know, I live in WV too! I know you will enjoy your trip to the Mountaineer State. Happy Travels!
    Fawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yippee! I'm all packed and ready to go. My mom's taking me to the airport in an hour. I'm really gonna miss my mom and Boomer! But I can't wait to see Vivienne in person. Tell Kevin I''ll see him soon!

      Delete
  5. I'm so excited for you, Julie!! I can't believe you haven't seen much of snow before. :)
    *Sunny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think I was 2 or 3 the last time. But I don't remember all that much.

      Delete