Sunday, November 8, 2015

Dodge Ball

Hello future readers!

On Friday in Gym class, we played Dodge Ball. In case you don't know what that is, let me clue you in. In Dodge Ball you have 2 kids standing on either side of the floor and a bunch of kids sandwiched in between them all spread out. One kid on the end has a ball. They have to throw the ball and hit the kids in the middle who are jumping to get out of the way, or "dodging" the ball. If a kid gets hit, they're out. Now you're supposed to aim and hit people below the waist, or where you wear your pants. Above the waist doesn't count, and neither do your hands, 'cos they can be up or down. Anyway, Danny and Shante' were the throwers and the rest of Miss LaSalle's class was in the middle.





Robyn was the first one out, since the ball hit her foot.



Then Shante' had the ball and we all had to turn around.





April was out next. She got hit in the waist.



Danny had the ball again. About face!



This time he hit Stephanie. Only he threw the ball so hard that it knocked her down!



We all gathered around Stephanie and asked if she was alright.  She said she got the wind knocked outta her, but she wasn't hurt.



Danny just hung back looking kinda embarrassed. I know he didn't mean to throw the ball so hard.


Stephanie picked up the ball to give to Danny and said "Here Danny, that's a do over" And he said, "What do you mean, that's a do over? I'm sorry I hit you so hard, but you're still out."



Stephanie told him since the ball hit her in the stomach and not below the waist, it didn't count. Danny got mad and told her the ball hit her waist so she was out!



Miss LaSalle saw the whole thing and told Danny the ball hit Stephanie in the stomach. Only Danny started to argue with her, and said it hit Stephanie in the waist.  Miss LaSalle told him that he had to sit on the bench for the rest of gym class for being a poor sport and arguing with a teacher.



Danny just sat there looking mad, kicking his feet and grumbling. Miss LaSalle told Stephanie she could take Danny's place, and throw the ball.



Later when we were lining up to go back to class, I heard Danny tell Stephanie he was sorry he acted like such a jerk. Stephanie told him it was OK, and that he should save that arm for pitching in baseball! Haha!



I'm glad Stephanie and Danny made up so fast. I don't like to see my friends fight with each other. Sometimes when some of them have arguments, they don't talk to each other for days.  Then some of us take sides and it just turns into a big mess. I can never do that. I'd rather say I'm sorry and get it over  with.  Danny admitted he was wrong and everything was cool again. I don't think he likes being mad, or having other people mad at him.



Until next time, future readers,
Your friend,
Julie Newman

25 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun game! I think Danny will try to be a better sport next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. Sometimes when Danny plays outdoor games with us girls, he acts like he's got something to prove. I think he'd much rather play with Jason and Kyle.

      Delete
  2. Poor Stephanie! I'm glad she was ok and recovered so quickly. I don't like seeing friends argue. I always say "don't sweat the small stuff!" ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad Stephanie is OK. But man, that ball probably felt like a punch in the stomach! Ouch!

      Delete
  3. I remember getting hit in the stomach during dodge ball; it wasn't fun. Had my glasses knocked off once or twice too. It's not that the players were aiming that high, sometimes the ball goes wild.
    ~Xyra

    A lot of schools won't allow dodge ball anymore. It's a shame - it's fun and teaches coordination as well as sportsmanship.
    ~Melody

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully Danny learned several lessons from this, the main one being don't fight with the teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. Danny usually doesn't do stuff like that, at least not to grown-ups. Maybe he was just having a bad morning. I bet he'll think twice before shooting off his mouth again!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like fun--except for the fighting part. I don't like to have fights with friends, or see other kids fight. And wow, Danny should really know better than to argue with a teacher! Hopefully he won't do anything like that again.
    Stephanie is really pretty! She looks a lot like my sister did when she was younger.
    *Sunny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he actually does know better. Maybe something else was bugging him. I think Stephanie's really pretty too...especially her sparkly green eyes.

      Delete
  6. Looks like fun. Since I am homeschoolers, I used to play dodgeball at co-op. We always had fun, but we never had a below the waist rule. I think that might prevent a lot of injuries.
    Melodie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's funny that games like baseball and football always have the same rules, but games like Dodge Ball, tag, and kickball all have different rules at different schools and camps.

      Delete
    2. It is funny. I think your rule sounds a little less dangerous.

      What do you do for homework? It would be fun to compare how much homework kids in the future have.

      Melodie

      Delete
    3. Well usually we get 3 assignments a night, but none on Fridays. I'm glad it's not more, 'cos we'd have to carry more books home. I have books for reading, social studies, Health, Math, spelling, science, Phonics, and a class dictionary, but I always get a monthly book report, and penmanship practice, too. But sometimes we get fun homework like Art, watching a TV show to report on it, and our end of the school year Final Project.

      Delete
    4. That sounds like fun. I love fun projects, too. Recently my Spanish teacher had us plan a 7 day vacation to Texas. It was a lot of fun.

      Melodie

      Delete
    5. that does sound fun! I just finished a personal statement and resume we have had to do for English. It is worth a test grade so wish me luck! Good luck with your assignments Jullie!

      Delete
  7. Hi Julie,
    I never liked dodge ball when I was a kid because the boys were always too rough and I didn't want to get slammed with the ball. I'm sure Danny didn't mean to hurt anyone or to be disrespectful. I am glad he apologized once he had time to think about it.
    Fawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it OK, as long as people follow the rules. I know Danny didn't mean to hurt Stephanie, or sound off at Miss LaSalle. He was probably just having a bad morning. Maybe his mom gave him the wrong kind of cereal for breakfast.

      Delete
    2. Well, if that is the reason he's really going to be upset when Trix adds a new flavor in 1984 and then fools around with the shapes in years to come. It hasn't been as good since the changes. My rule is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

      Delete
  8. I don't know if that's the real reason he was mad. But that's what my mom always says too. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sometimes we may never know the true reason why someone might get angry ....

      Delete
  9. I am proud of Danny for saying he was sorry. It's not always easy to do. Being able to admit you are wrong and apologize shows great character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danny is actually pretty OK, (for a boy, I mean), and he doesn't usually pop off like that. He may say dumb things when the other guys are around to be a big shot, but he usually doesn't mean it. (Like last year when we had the raft race in summer camp). Jason is the one who's known for shooting off his big mouth. (but he's OK, too). And Danny will usually admit when he's wrong (but sometimes it just takes awhile).

      Delete
    2. sometimes pride has to be sacrificed to make amends....

      Delete
  10. holding a grudge is not good. Good job Danny and Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete