Sunday, February 15, 2015

Springfield Elementary's Valentine's Day Dance!

Hello future readers!

On Friday after school, we had a Valentine's Day Dance. The gym was all decorated with banners, and balloons and streamers. It looked really groovy. As usual, Miss LaSalle was in charge of the music. She always chooses the best records!




Mrs. Taylor was at the refreshment table. There was chips, Oreo cookies, heart shaped cookies, chocolate chip cookies,  and pink lemonade to drink. Yummy!



Mrs. Johnson walked around making sure there was no horsing around on the dance floor.





Wow, did we ever have a super time! School dances are always outta site, and this one was a ball!














Then Miss LaSalle and Mrs. Johnson announced that we'd be doing a Soul Train, and anyone who wanted to participate should line up by the basketball hoop.




In case you don't know what a Soul Train is, I'll fill you on. Soul Train is a music show that comes on after the Saturday morning cartoons are over. It has dynamite music, dancers, and super cool singing stars. Near the end of the show, the dancers get in 2 lines, and people take turns dancing down the middle. It's really fun, and lotsa people do it at parties. So some of us got in 2 lines. Jason was the first one to dance down the middle while Miss LaSalle played "Love Machine" by The Miracles.




Cheryl was next. She's a really good dancer. She takes ballet, and sometimes works her ballet moves into more modern dancing. And she's the only person I know who can do the splits!  It's really something to see!




Next up was Robyn.  She knows all the latest dances, because she never misses Soul Train! She practices all the dances she sees on TV every week.




Then it was my turn. I may not dance as good as Cheryl and Robyn, but I have some groovy moves, too!




Man, I really wish these dances lasted longer than 2 hours. That's when most of us are just getting warmed up! But since it was right after school, I guess the teachers wanted to go home. I don't know when we're gonna have another school dance, but I sure hope it's soon. I'm glad our teachers plan fun stuff like this for us kids to do. It just makes school a little more fun.




Until next time future readers,
Your friend,
Julie Newman

12 comments:

  1. Go Jason! Ah oh, now I'm going to have that song stuck in my head for the rest of the night!
    Fawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...you like the song "Love Machine"? None of us really go for all that mushy love stuff, but it's a cool song to dance to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun dance! I always hated when they came to an end too, I love to dance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I drive my mom crazy playing my records and stomping around my room dancing!

      Delete
  4. A great dance! Looks like everyone had fun!And everyone looks so neato in their special clothes. :)

    [From Xyra - I LOVE the crocheted vest. somewhere in my memento box I have a yellow one that my grandmother made me. Does anyone have the slippers with the pom pom on the toe? Oh, I didn't get to watch Soul Train but I did watch Bandstand.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Granny squares are really groovy, but I don't think of my friends have pom-pom slippers. I like American Bandstand too, and Action '75. Sometimes I watch Soul Train and sometimes I watch Bandstand, and in the summer I love to watch Action '75. It's really far out that they dance on the beach.

      Delete
    2. I don't think Action '75 aired in our area, but then I was more interested at Scooby-Doo at that time.
      ~Xyra

      Delete
    3. Hey, I like Scooby Doo too!. Action is like the summer version of American Bandstand. It's Dick Clark's show and all the people perform and dance on the beach! I wish I was old enough to be on Action!

      Delete
    4. Neat. Dancing on the beach reminds me of the Elvis movies set in Hawaii and Florida or the Frankie and Annette movies (only ever saw them on TV - channel 17 or something like that - never in theaters).
      ~Xyra

      Delete
  5. OOPS! Did I say Action '75? I meant '74. It's on sometimes in reruns!

    ReplyDelete