Sunday, February 8, 2015

20 Commendation Cards!

Hello future readers!

I just got home from school, but I couldn't wait to tell you. I finally did it! At last, I have 20 commendation cards!



In case you future kids don't know what that means, let me explain. In school, when you do something  really good, the teacher gives you a commendation card. Y'know, like when you're the quietest in line, or when you help someone out, or pick up litter off the playground...stuff like that. They're usually index cards that your teacher will write what great thing you did, and she'll put them on a special bulletin board in the classroom. Sometimes she'll add a little sticker or drawing to it.



 When the bulletin board gets full, the teacher takes them down, but you need to save them, 'cos you can trade them in like trading stamps. For instance, 5 cards gets you a lollipop. 15 cards, and you can watch the class while your teacher goes to the office. But 20 cards is the biggie, 'cos you can skip a homework assignment! And I finally got 20! Outta site!



I've been saving them all in my pencil case in my bookbag.  Miss LaSalle is really groovy about letting us keep the cards, she just keeps track of the numbers in a little book she keeps in her desk. She says we don't have to start over after 5, but if we claim something big like watching the class or skipping homework, we have to start all over again.




Some of the kids really like being in charge of stuff (and just being plain bossy), so they'll claim at 15 cards, but I'd rather skip a homework assignment. That way, I'll have more time to play or watch television.




Now I have to decide which assignment I wanna skip. My mom says I can't skip my Math homework, 'cos I need all the help in Math I can get. *groan* She wants me to get better marks on my Friday Math tests.



I don't really wanna skip my Health homework, 'cos those assignments are fun, like making charts of the food groups. And Spelling's out, 'cos I got one of my commendation cards for scoring 100% in last Wednesday's Spelling Bee! Hmm...maybe I can skip Reading or Social Studies.




Well, I don't have to decide right now, 'cos it's Friday, and I don't have any homework tonight anyway. But it's so much fun thinking about it! Maybe I can skip our monthly book report...hmmmm...



Wow...I really need to relax my brain! I think I'll just listen to some music for awhile, and then go downstairs for a snack. My mom is really proud of me, and says we can celebrate by getting a hamburger at Sam's Snack Shack for dinner tonight! Far out!



Until next time, future readers,
Your friend,
Julie Newman

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations Julie! I'm with you, skipping a homework assignment - probably a book report - would be great. Well done!
    Fawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fawn. I still wish I could skip Math, 'cos it's not my favorite subject, but I know why my mom said no. I missed 6 answers out of 20 on last week's Math test. *sigh* I think right now it's a toss-up between my social studies homework, and my monthly book report.

      Delete
    2. I don't like Math either, Julie! If I were you, I'd go with the social studies homework.
      *Sunny

      Delete
    3. Hi Sunny,

      Actually, I skipped my monthly book report. I was the only kid in our class that got that weekend free with no homework!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on getting 20 cards, good job! I would skip the book report too, I never liked doing those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind doing the book reports so much if Miss LaSalle didn't make us do them on the weekends! Maybe I will skip the next one.

      Delete