Sunday, August 18, 2013

Take a Hike!

Hello future readers!

Well, I got through my first night of camp. It really isn't so bad being away from home. It's pretty groovy, actually. The only part I really don't like is getting up to go to the bathroom. It can get pretty cold in the mountains at night, and the last thing I wanna do when I really have to go to the bathroom is put on my jacket over my pajamas, put on my shoes, get my flashlight and go down the trail to the bathroom! Besides, the woods are creepy at night. Cheryl and I made a deal that we would wake the other up when we had to go. I would have made this deal with Sunny, but she's sleeps like a rock!

Anyway, we went on our first hike today. Before we left, we had to get the ingredients to make "gorp". What's "gorp" you might ask? It's a kind of trail mix made from raisins, cereal, nuts, and M&Ms (or chocolate chips). They have funny names for things in camp. Like Kool-Aid is "bug juice". Doesn't sound appetizing, but that's what they call it, 'cos bugs like sugar water. Well, anyhow, we mixed the ingredients for the gorp in a big bowl, and then put it in baggies so we could bring it along to snack on.





We filled up our canteens, grabbed out hats, and hit the ole hiking trail.



It was really something! Big beautiful trees that were so tall, you almost couldn't see the sky. All kinds of birds singing, squirrels running all around and that good mountain air! Sure beats the city by a long way!





As we were hiking, we were singing a silly camp song, "The Ants Go Marching". Our favorite number in the song is nine. It goes "The ants go marching 9 by 9, and the little one stops to scratch his behind!" And of course we all start cracking up!


After a while, we decide to stop and rest, and break out the gorp. I was glad 'cos I was getting pretty thirsty.








Y'know, I really like gorp! Especially the M&Ms! It's really yummy all mixed together with the raisins, nuts and cereal. I'm gonna ask my mom if we can make some when I get home!

Well, it was time to head back to camp and see what everybody else was up to. Hiking was a lot of fun, and so far camp is pretty outta site!




 I hope there's still camp in the future. Everyone should have a chance to go, at least once!

Until next time, future readers,
Your friend,
Julie Newman

No comments:

Post a Comment