Thursday, August 22, 2013

Rafting on the Lake

Hello future readers,

Today Kerry told us we were going rafting. I was excited, but a little nervous, too. I'm a good swimmer, but the only boats I have ever been on, someone else was doing the steering! What if I dropped my oar into the water? What if I got so confused that I couldn't get back to shore, and someone else had to bring me in? That would be embarrassing!

Well, Kerry asked us to meet her at the lake by the dock. Sunny, Cheryl and I walked down there and found Stephanie wearing a life jacket and talking to Kerry.



The rest of Blue Jays (Stephanie's cabin) had gone on a hike, but Stephanie had a blister on her foot, so she asked Kerry if she could join us instead. Kerry told her that was fine. Outta site! Then Kerry gave us each a life jacket and explained about how to use the oar, and to paddle nice and easy and not splash and thrash too much. I hope I can remember how to do it when it's my turn!



There was only 1 raft, so we had to take turns. Cheryl was first.




She made it look so easy! Sunny was next.



She knew how worried I was. When she got out, she told me it was a cinch, and she knew I could do it. I didn't know about that. Then it was Stephanie's turn.




She told me how much fun it was! I felt a little better, but I was still scared. But my friends did it and no one dropped their oar or got stuck in the middle of the lake.  When it was my turn, I took a deep breath and got into the raft. I took one more deep breath and started paddling. I remembered what Kerry said, and did everything right! After a while, I relaxed and started to enjoy it! Rafting was really groovy!



I was really proud of myself! When I got out, Sunny gave my hand a little squeeze, and told me she knew I could do it! I'll bet even folks in the future get scared of things sometimes. But isn't it cool when you don't let your fear hold you back and find your brave side?

Until next time, future readers,
Your friend,
Julie Newman

No comments:

Post a Comment